WWR is a 501(c)3 organization and relies on financial gifts to engage in our mission. Help WWR via a gift, telling others about us, and following us on Facebook or Instagram.

Meet the WWR Board: Shana Nissenbaum

Tell us a little about yourself.

I grew up outside of Philadelphia, then lived in central Pennsylvania, western New York, and finally moved here in 2011. I’m a 3rd grade reading teacher at National Trail Elementary School. I love teaching 8- and 9-year-olds because they get jokes and sarcasm, but also are still little kids and get excited when I get excited. I’m kind of the biggest kid in the classroom. I got my BA from Penn State University, MA in Literacy from Alfred University, and became a Level 2 NCCER certified carpenter through Ivy Tech.

Why did you join the board?

Well, I didn’t. As the Founder and Executive Director, I don’t get to vote. But I started this organization because I love teaching and I want all women to feel empowered.

What is your favorite WWR workshop?

I love pretty much all of the Mommy and Me workshops because I love watching women and children build together. My favorite of those is the candy machine. When I found the plans for it I thought, “Man I would have loved to have made one of those when I was a kid.” I told this to one of the other board members and she just stared at me until I finally said, “Okay you are right. I am so psyched to make one of these even now!”

What is your favorite tool used in a workshop?

This is a tough one for me. I’ve found that having the perfect tool for the job makes anything easier, so I value all the tools. I think my favorite is the router, either trim or plunge. I like being able to leave a perfect void in the wood or round over the edges.

What is the coolest thing you’ve ever made?

In the summer, I often work construction. I have helped build quite a few houses. It’s crazy to think that I put up some framing and then someone will live in that house. The candy machine is pretty cool too, though.

How else are you involved in the community?

I run a maker space for elementary students at National Trail, sit on the board of the baseball and softball ball parks for New Paris, and emcee The Dire Skates roller derby bouts. I also try to get WWR involved in as many community projects as possible. For example, we built 6 little free libraries that are now in various places around town.

How do you enjoy spending your free time?

This should come as no surprise, but I really love building during my free time! During non-COVID times, I also really enjoy hosting parties with my wife.

Why should someone participate in a workshop?

Women have told me so many reasons for this…They are divorced and want to feel competent on their own, they have always wanted use power tools, they wanted to try something new, their husband died and left many tools behind, they want to build something specific…the list goes on and on. I think the most important part of them coming is that they gain the confidence that they need to build something, even if they don’t have all the skills yet.

Comments

Post a Comment